Friday, June 3, 2011

My Life in the Underworld

For the summer I am living in Austin with my aunt and uncle and their three boys. I couldn't be more grateful to them for letting me move in to the downstairs bedroom. I never expected the summer to be anything but loud and fun living with a house full of boys. I grew up living with Ryan and Reid so Xbox all day and air soft gun wars are nothing foreign to my lifestyle. Wid, and Peter, my uncle, have three boys, two in Jr. High, and one in elementary. Over the past year living in Austin, I have gotten closer to the boys because I would come to the house and do laundry and such; but this summer I have the opportunity to spend even more time with them, which I love. A few days ago Wid said that she wanted the boys to start doing volunteer work this summer; I am really excited about it because that's a huge part of my life at St. Edward's and what could be more fun than doing service in Austin with three boys who are constantly full of energy? The middle and youngest boys remind me a lot of me and Reid growing up, they are constantly picking at each other and never seem to get along. I smiled a couple days ago when I woke up and the first text I had was from Reid, we get along great now and can talk to each other about basically anything. Our petty fights have long since passed and I couldn't have asked for a better brother, he and Ryan are both such good guys and I love the part that they play in my life. Now don't get me wrong, we all still pick on each other, now it's more in good fun. When I hear Alex and Will fight, I just think of the many time Reid and I did the same thing and I would tell him that he was such a jerk and then think of where we are now.

The boys are my cousins but we all seem to be getting to the point where we treat each other like siblings. I love having three little guys to hang around with, even if they do get a little rowdy at times. As you know, my family means so much to me, and not just my immediate. God has provided this opportunity to get close to the boys this summer and I couldn't be happier. Family is something I stopped taking for granted when the boys and my Papoo died a few years back. Papoo always loved the fact that his kids, and their kids were so close to each other. Living in Gruver, I was only able to be around at Christmas and usually got to see my cousins only once or twice a year. Now that I live in Austin, I see everyone much more frequently, especially the three boys...obviously. I understand more and more each day why it was so important to Papoo that we were all close. I come and go from Wid's as I please but I know if I need anything I can always count on Wid and Peter to help me out. I work as a waitress and have a constantly changing schedule, but Peter and Wid know that if they ever need me to pick the boys up or cook dinner because they are at work; I'm more often than not able to do so. It is such a blessing to have family around and I couldn't be more grateful for mine.

SOTD

No comments:

Post a Comment