Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Power of Unintended Consequences

Mary Teague Mail, http://dwinger.wordpress.com/mary-teague-mail, was my attempt at blogging many years ago. I tried to write about things that I had been convicted of in my life and things going on in my family. These writings were “truth”, from my perspective. Unfortunately, I failed to consider the impact of those writings on those that were written about. Feelings were hurt.

I noticed in the news, that there was a woman who blogged about her daily life. She was a teacher, and she wrote about her students without mentioning their names or the name of the school at which she taught. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/ap_on_hi_te/us_teacher_suspended_blog
She was suspended with pay and is fighting to keep her job.

I was a guest speaker for Davin in his personal finance class on Tuesday. He asks me to come tell his class about financial products and services that are offered by banks. I offer my professional as well as personal experiences for explaining how and why they should take the time to know and understand such things. I was relating to them some facts of a lawsuit to make a point. I had trouble explaining the example because I had not prepared the workout in advance. I made a judgment that my whole presentation that day did not bode well for me or my bank from that point on. Normally, after such a presentation, Davin sends a thank you card signed by the whole class. Today, I got two. Awesome.

Papoo used to say that a boy’s poor attitude is directly proportional to the length of his hair. The longer it is, the worse it gets. Lots of haircuts lately. Life is good :)

A customer came into our bank after withdrawing money from our ATM. The ATM had incorrectly given them more than they were charged, and they were giving it back. Several months later this customer applied for a loan. They had no credit history, were barely old enough to qualify, and did not meet the ordinary credit requirements. They were shocked when I reminded them of the ATM incident. Needless to say, they got the loan.

Periodically I receive account levies at the bank from the IRS, the State Comptroller, the Attorney General, SLMA (student loans), and other assorted governmental agencies. When they come, the monies in all accounts of persons named in the levy are immediately frozen. After a period of time, unless we receive a release of the levy from the agency that sent it, the monies that were frozen are remitted to the agency to satisfy a variety of delinquent obligations. Open your mail, especially from the government. Do not ignore or disregard what they say you owe. Heed their communications and warnings. In my opinion, it is much easier to work a resolution than it is to recover from the outcomes of a levy. The same can be said for personal relationships.

To the ZBags and Wingers: Please forgive me for hurting you in any way with my unkind words or deeds. Forgive me if I neglect you, or take you for granted. Forgive me for not saying that I love you often. Thank you for loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment